Caring organisations and charities

If you need further information about caring and support for an elderly or vulnerable person, please visit the organisations listed below

Action on Elder Abuse

Offers confidential help and advice on all aspects elder abuse
080 8808 8141

Age UK

Age UK is the country’s largest charity dedicated to helping everyone make the most of later life. They help more than 7m people every year, providing companionship, advice and support for older people who need it most.
0800 678 1174

Alzheimer Scotland – Action on Dementia

Provides a wide range of specialist services for people with dementia and their carers. Offers personalised support services, community activities, information and advice, at every stage of the dementia journey.
0808 808 3000


Alzheimer’s Society

Alzheimer’s Society is a national dementia charity. They are there help and support anyone affected by dementia, and will do everything they can to keep people with dementia connected to their lives and the people who matter most.
0300 222 11 22


Information resource on assistive technologies for use by people with dementia, carers and professionals
0115 748 4220


The longest-standing residential and nursing care home internet search site for people looking for residential care and for those who are providing these services
01273 757233

Carers Trust

Works to improve support, services and recognition for anyone living with the challenges of caring, unpaid, for a family member or friend who is ill, frail, disabled or has mental health or addiction problems.
0300 772 9600

Carers UK

Leaflets and support relating to long-term care
020 7378 4999

Contact the Elderly

Aims at reducing isolation of the elderly
0800 716543

Elderly Accommodation Counsel

Helping older people make informed choices about meeting their housing and care needs.


FirstStop Advice is an independent, impartial and free service offering advice and information to older people, their families and carers about housing and care options for later life.
0800 377 7070

Independent Age

Nationwide support and advocacy for older people needing information about community care and housing

0800 319 6789


The UK’s leading charity representing people with learning disabilities, with a helpline service and Ask Mencap, a website with lots of useful information on learning disability.
0808 808 1111


Provides advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem. Campaigns to improve services, raise awareness and promote understanding.
020 8519 2122

Money Advice Service

The Money Advice Service helps people manage their money. They do this directly through their own free and impartial advice service. They also work in partnership with other organisations to help people make the most of their money. They are an independent service, set up by government.
0800 138 7777

National Dignity Council

Changing the culture of care services and placing a greater emphasis on improving the quality of care and the experience of people using services including NHS hospitals, community services, care homes and home support services

Patients Association

Wants to see health and social care services that provide high quality and safe care, where patients and their carers are valued as expert partners and recognised as individuals.
020 8423 8999

Pensions Advisory Service

The Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS) works to make pensions accessible and understandable for everyone. We provide independent and impartial information and guidance about pensions, free of charge, to members of the public. They help with all pension matters covering workplace, personal and stakeholder schemes and also the State Pension. They answer general questions, help with specific queries and offer guidance for people with complaints about their private pension scheme.
0300 123 1047

Relatives and Residents Association

A national charity for older people in or needing care and the relatives and friends who help them cope.
020 7359 8136

Rett Syndrome Association UK

A national charity, which offers information, advice, practical help, friendship and support to people with Rett syndrome, their families and carers. Rett syndrome is a complex neurological disorder, which mainly affects girls.


SOLLA helps people and their families in finding trusted accredited financial advisers who understand financial needs in later life. A well-qualified financial adviser who is also somebody who understands the plans you need to make for your retirement years.
0333 2020 454

Tax Help for Older People

Tax Help for Older People is a charity service from Tax Volunteers that provides free, independent and expert advice and help for older people on lower incomes.
0845 6013321