Part a) What happens with an older partner – the issues that can arise for the elderly client advisor in this area in relation to protecting assets.
- The desirability of an express trust deed if a property is jointly acquired
- What happens if there is no express deed?
- What rights of occupation does a non-owning party have?
- Wills – how do you ensure your children inherit a fair share?
- Options inc mutual wills life interest trusts
- Tax issues re life interest trusts
- The Inheritance (Provision for Dependants) Act 1975
- LPA’s or Deputyships. Who should be appointed and risks?
- Managing children’s expectations and achieving a fair balance
Part b) moving in with your children – the effects on parents gifting to children and undue influence, avoiding future conflicts in the family
- Managing relations within the family
- Capacity issues re gifts – preventing a challenge
- Undue influence – preventing a challenge
- Protecting the parent’s position re a joint purchase
- Tax aspects including gifts with reservation of benefit and the Section 102B FA 1986 let out and other planning opportunities
- Care home fee planning and deprivation of capital
About the speakers